Zimbabwe Vs Sri-Lanka: It was the only test match between both the teams and after the poor display in limited over fixtures, the pressure was on the host. If you see the result, it won’t tell you how close Zimbabwe were from pulling off, what would have been a classic and historic victory. Presenting you the snapshot review:
- Zimbawbe , batting first posted a good total. Too good for the feeble bowling attack which rests highly on the shoulders of Rangana Hearth. Craig Ervine (160) is slowly become their best and one of the finest batsman of contemporary times. Zimbabwe posted 356 and that meant, Sri Lanka had to bat their best. Hearth picked up another 5 fer (5/116)
- On day 3, when hearth was batting at 22 and Lanka score read 322/7, the possibility of Sri Lanka crossing the trail figure was high, but soon after the dismissal of Hearth, the Lanka innings fell handing a psychological advantage of meagre 10 runs. At that point, the match was equally poised.
- The third innings was a entirely a different scenario. 59-5 and it looked that Zimbabwe hasn’t learned from its years of mistake. But much to everyone’s surprise, was the rise of Hamilton Raza (127) along with Waller (68), Creamer (48) and Moor(40) , made sure the African side has something on board to fight. Hearth ended up with 11 wickets in the match. By posting 377 in the third innings, one thing was sure, if Lanka was to chase this down, it wasn’t gonna be an easy chase.
- And indeed so. When the fifth day play started, all three results were possible. Lanka needed 210 and Zimbabwe needed 7 wickets. If this is not even, then what will be.
- The Lankan batting was a sheer display of team effort coupled with perseverance. All the Batsman got to the start and converted and Dicekwalla (81) and Gunartee (80) negated the possibility of any Zimbabwean miracle. First innings hero , Creamer tried his best, but ended up a total of 9 wickets from the match. This is the highest successful chase in Asia by any team.
- So, finally, Chandimal’s first test brought win. But in a week time, the host will again be host to the numero uno India and that will be the actual test. Sri Lanka has to work on various parts, for Zimbawbe, they have already garnered themselves lots of respect. They just need to maintain it.
ZIM 356, 377
SL 346, 391/6
Pic credits- ICC World and SRI Lanka cricket board