Harsha Bhogle after the end of first test quoted, “In boxing analogy, Sri-Lanka aren’t in India’s weight category“. Up-till lunch on the third day in the second test, the statement held meaning. After that what took place was ultimate display of grit and patience of the great Sri Lankan Renaissance. Review of the second test match:
- Second toss win on the trot and choosing to bat, India was again off to a good start . Incoming batsman KL Rahul (57) was in a good nick and made sure he capitalised on the opportunity. Dhawan (35) got out after getting a start. Rahul’s furiousness of Pujara after getting out showed his hunger.
- Pujara(133), in remorse, wanted to make a most. Anyway, as they say,’He was born to bat‘. And true indeed. The way the guy is notching up runs, is simply a site to watch. After the skipper got out cheaply, it was all Pujara – Rahane show and from there on, Sri-lanka was simply swept out of the game.
- Rahane(132) went to score another brilliant century. Courtesy to the half centuries of Saha (67) , Ash (54) , Jadeja (70), India powered a mammoth 622, that proved too big for Lankan even after batting twice.
- For lanka, their only pacer was ruled out because of injury and the pressure fell on spinners, especially hearth who ended up with figures of 4/154.
- Lankans had a gargantuan task at hand. But Indians just got better with ball. What they call a quality formidable bowling unit is what Indians have become. The pitch spun in their favour too.
- And the sad plight the Lankan as they plunged to a follow-on trail of 439 after being humbled for 183. Ashwin (5/69) picked up his 26th five-fer. It’s all about just numbers now for him. Jadeja and Shami had two.
- When the second innings of Lanka started, they were under enormous pressure. Following on and 439 runs trail, a defeat was glaring at their feet. It was all matter of time. Things got worse when Tharanga got out in cheaply.
- After 7/1, the great Lankan Resurgence started. With Kushal Mendis (110) and Karunantra (141 off 307), gave their everything on a surface where even a coin would take a spin of faith. Especially Karunantra, the perseverance and determination exhibited, was commendable. After they got out, it was just formalities for the Indian to end things up. Jaddu ended with his 9th five-fer.(5/152)
- On a pitch where Lankan thought that Pace bowlers had nothing, all the Indian Pacers picked up wicket and shared 5 wickets among them. The dearth of Lankan bowling is simply because of over- reliance on Herath. Difference in Ideology?
- Post match, Jadeja was imposed a test match ban owing to non-legit behaviour on ground and attacking the fellow player dangerously.
- The win is India’s first Innings win in Lanka, in-fact it is first innings defeat of Lanka at home. With this, India won the 8th series straight.
India : 622/9
Sri Lanka: 183 and 386
India won by innings and 53 runs.
Pic credits: DCS and Google Images