Arsenal vs Leicester City: Last night was the season opener and it indeed acted like a grand opening to the biggest commercial league of world. Arrsenel edged a victory in a seven goals thriller but the match indeed has some talking points for both the sides.The snapshot reiew of the match:
- Alexandre Lacazette showed within 120 seconds of his Arsenal debut that he can be the man to score more than 20 goals this season. Lacazette scored with his second touch in the Premier League – with his first touch having come from the kick-off, just 1:34 in to the game.
- Soon, there was an equalizer from Vardy and within 5 minutes, the score read one all.
- Debutant Maguire was making his presence felt in both boxes and the centre-back made a brave block when Welbeck tried to convert Mesut Ozil’s 22nd-minute cutback.
- Marc Albrighton pounced on a loose ball and centered for Vardy to punish more comical Arsenal defending – Okazaki might then have doubled his tally when he headed narrowly wide in the 33rd minute.
- In the extra time in the first half, Arsenal’s attempt to equalize was capitalized when Lacazette and Sead Kolasinac combined to present Welbeck with a welcome tap-in, who made use of the opportunity quite well.
- Leicester powered by Vardy took the driver seat when Riyad Mahrez’s 56th minute strike over but Vardy was allowed a free run and converted it into a brilliant header.
- Ramsey powered wide from Lacazette’s cross when Ozil lashed into the goal with 16 minutes remaining. Giroud, the one touch star for gunners, came in at 67th minute and settled the affairs for them in the 82th when he scored his 50th goal for the gunners.
- This was only the sixth time that an opening matchday game in a Premier League season has seen seven goals scored – no game has seen more.